The Conservative/Lib Dem coalition agreements are available here. Under the heading “Civil Liberties” there are a number of points that should interest readers of this blog. These include:
* the scrapping of the ID cards scheme, the National Identity Register, the next generation of biometric passports and the Contact Point database;
* outlawing the fingerprinting of children at school without parental permission;
* extending FOIA to provide greater transparency;
* adopting the Scottish model for the DNA database;
* further regulation of CCTV; and
* ending the storage of internet and email records without good reason.
Taken together these suggest that information law issues will continue to be centre stage in political terms.